Skip to main content

Is style something a woman is born with or can she develop it over time? Or do styles catch up with a woman if she holds the line?

Oh, honey, forget that mullet haircut idea--you remember how you justified it: "practical in the front, party in the back"--that was never a good idea in any era. And, heaven forbid, if it comes around again, it will still be bad. On the other hand, the beehive, in all its outrageous permutations, from Marie Antoinette to Cindy Wilson from the B-52's and Ab-Fab's Patsy keeps coming around looking just as baroque and brash as ever. So you keep on teasing and hanging with the Aquanet, girl!

I know. I am an unlikely fashionista. I look more like the hefty Midwestern farm girl I aspire to be than the nervy, bulimic, shopaholic fag hag that I have been now and again. Maybe wearing all the too-tight, decade-old hand-me-downs from my sisters made me fashion self-conscious while giving me a first-hand lesson in vintage: scratchy wool underwear from the 1960's and polyester jumpsuits retain odors for YEARS and brew some of their very own over the years of being in mothballs. Nossiree, you never forget your first hand-me-down polyester jumpsuit. If the term 'cameltoe' had been around then, I woulda likely been the prickly heat-afflicted, polyester-clad poster child.

But my years as a costume designer and wardrobe mistress taught me a few things about cut and fit and drape and fabric. I can do an entire thrift store in 15 minutes, just by looking at the quality of fabric, the set of a shirt collar, the finish on a sleeve. All very well and good for the busty woman playing Appassionata von Climax in a shoestring budget production of Li'l Abner or the waify Creole playing Macbeth's heath-dwelling witch. So why did it take me years more to learn that daily dressing is simply a matter of costuming oneself just as much as dressing Cinderella for the Chicago Opera?

Even for someone interested in fashion, style took a while to develop. Maybe especially for someone interested in fashion, it takes a while. Trying trendy things that don't look good on you, trying not to care because you feel fat and you feel like you don't deserve to be interested in fashion, or trying not to look like you care about keeping up with fashion because it's so superficial.

But it's not. And fashion isn't style.

Life is the role of a lifetime. Dress the part!

Decide what point you want to make and then make it. Like a player who struts and frets his hour upon a stage. Use trendy stuff only if it helps you make your point, or to show people you haven't been in a coma for the past 10 years.If you find great second hand stuff that looks a little worn, use it to your advantage! It says "I've had this for years! I thought it was cool before it became cool. And I don't care if it ceases to become cool. It works for my character in this particular scene."

And maybe that's style. Fashion will catch up with you later.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lost Designer of the 80's

Claude Barthelemy seems to have been one of those if-you-needed-to-ask-you-didn't-need-to-know designers. In the '80's, he was listed as a young, hot couturier alongside go-the-distance blue chips like Karl Lagerfeld and Lanvin with his oversized sweaters, minis, leggings and fur-trimmed stoles. Exclusive stores carried his soft-edged jackets to shoppers in the know. And then what happened? His pleated skirts, intarsia sweaters, and naughty, zippered wool catsuits still fetch high prices in vintage world and any dealer with his elegantly simple, Gallic tag on her racks raises a flutter in second-hand seekers. He designed for Barbie, for heaven's sake! But the designer himself, who seems to have cut a meteoric swath across the runways and then...? So what's the story with this wasp-waisted pleated skirt? I wondered what else this woman could have dropped off on her Goodwill drive-by--a Chanel original? A couture Pucci? Surely someone this linked in wouldn't just

Change Your Tone!!

I know I have a "unique voice." But I can count on one hand how many people I know who can stand listening to their own voice. (That is not saying there aren't those guys who seem to love talking just to hear the sound of their own voice; but if you literally  played it back to them --they'd cringe and crawl under the sofa.) When I was in the 3rd grade, I was chosen to be in some experimental speech/voice therapy at our school. They tried for many weeks to raise the pitch of my voice by having me go up and down the do-re-mi scales until I hit one that they thought sounded pleasing. I had a deep, true contralto voice somewhere a few notes below "do." With the sort of rasping, old-chain-smoker undertones of a freckled Billie Holiday. The experimenters settled on "fa." For 20 minutes three times a week, I got to leave Ms. Foster's third grade classroom and go to the convent living room where I would sing "do-re-mi-fa" and say

E is for Ephemera--The Beauty of the Impermanent #A2ZChallenge

Ephemera Vulgata (garden variety Mayfly) Ephemera: From the Greek: Ephemeron --a short-lived insect. Members of the family Ephemeridae include dragon and damsel flies as well as may flies in the genus Ephemera. For the rest of us: the detritus of our lives: concert tickets, bus tokens, valentine's day cards, matchbooks, packaging, coupons: objects meant to be useful for a brief period of time. And then what? Advocates of simplicity say it should be thrown away. I have tried.   But I don't think they're looking close enough. Simply because it is not meant to be durable doesn't mean much of it isn't a tiny window into some artist's mind. I am not ashamed to say I buy many things based on the cleverness or beauty of its packaging. I consider this a way of supporting the arts--manufacturers paid someone to design the structure, the image, the lettering. It may not be as grand and sweeping as an operatic performance, but the opera itself is ephe