Skip to main content

Second Hand Thoughts





I am now a middle-aged mother of two young boys, living on a suburban street in southwest Florida. I drive a Toyota SUV, which has been thrown up in so many times, I gag at the thought of it. I work as a fitness instructor, a Weight Watchers leader, and a presently under-employed freelance writer. I've had worse jobs. But Nature abhorrs a vacuum. I am now a blogger.

And I'm having second thoughts.

Oh, not about blogging. I've been thinking about that for a while since magazine work sort of dried up and I'm looking for a new literary agent and have eaten everything in the house.

Just second thoughts. You know: first impressions, second thoughts, third and fourth chances.

My mother was an antique dealer. Or a picker. Or a collector. Or just a hoarder, maybe. She used to go to garage sales, thrift stores and auctions and buy antiques for her antique store. Then, she went to garage sales, thrift stores and auctions to buy stuff that went to her friends' antique stores. Then, she just went to garage sales, thrift stores and auctions to buy stuff that never went anywhere at all. It piled up in great stacks of oriental carpets and paintings, and piles of antique linens and lace; it piled into barrels of teddy bears and creepy dolls and clown figurines; dollhouses, doorknobs, and dhurries. She had a houseful of antique chairs, miniature sofas, vinyl massage chairs, but there was never a place to sit down. She had canopy beds, artist crafted four-poster beds, antique cannonball beds, girly iron beds, and never anywhere to sleep.

I'm sure I'll wax nostalgic about all that later.

My point, if I ever had one, is that I knew I had to be very, very careful and vigilant about thrift stores. I didn't particularly like them. Didn't like the universal smell of thriftstore stuff: B.O. and mildew and cheap fabric sizing. I thought I'd rather live in an empty room than go to a garage sale for a chair. Which, actually is what happened: me, a series of crummy apartments where I couldn't afford the rent, and one crappy, motheaten oriental carpet that my mother begrudgingly parted with so I wouldn't have to sleep on the floor.

I started going to thrift stores while I was working as a theater designer in Chicago: The Brown Elephant in the gay ghetto on the north side in Wrigleyville. Good clothes, excellent furniture, an easy shop, for a girl with my upbringing and education. And then, one afternoon, I ran across this veritable trove of the most awesome shoes: dozens and dozens of trashy platforms, maribou mules, silver ballroom shoes, conservative suede pumps, spectators, peep-toe starlet slingbacks, a rainbow of dyed bridesmaid's shoes, strappy sandals, thigh high boots. All in size 13 women's. Row after row of acrylic heeled wedges, gold gladiators, patent leather stilettos. It took me a moment to process the woman with the size 13 feet. But of course: A drag queen's royal hoard.

But why had they come here? Who had brought them? Where were the outfits that went with them???

Now, according to the newspaper writer friend of mine wrote about thriftstore chic decorating, I am the Dumpster Diva. I've been down a few of those, too, mind you, but I told her if she referred to me in the article that way, I wouldn't give her the great Michael Kors skirt I found in her size at the Domestic Violence thriftstore. The thing with thriftstores is a good eye and constant vigilance.

I am, I suppose,
Artemis--the Huntress

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Change Your Tone!!

I know I have a "unique voice."
But I can count on one hand how many people I know who can stand listening to their own voice. (That is not saying there aren't those guys who seem to love talking just to hear the sound of their own voice; but if you literally played it back to them--they'd cringe and crawl under the sofa.)
When I was in the 3rd grade, I was chosen to be in some experimental speech/voice therapy at our school. They tried for many weeks to raise the pitch of my voice by having me go up and down the do-re-mi scales until I hit one that they thought sounded pleasing. I had a deep, true contralto voice somewhere a few notes below "do." With the sort of rasping, old-chain-smoker undertones of a freckled Billie Holiday. The experimenters settled on "fa." For 20 minutes three times a week, I got to leave Ms. Foster's third grade classroom and go to the convent living room where I would sing "do-re-mi-fa" and say and sing eve…

The Lost Designer of the 80's

Claude Barthelemy seems to have been one of those if-you-needed-to-ask-you-didn't-need-to-know designers. In the '80's, he was listed as a young, hot couturier alongside go-the-distance blue chips like Karl Lagerfeld and Lanvin with his oversized sweaters, minis, leggings and fur-trimmed stoles. Exclusive stores carried his soft-edged jackets to shoppers in the know.

And then what happened? His pleated skirts, intarsia sweaters, and naughty, zippered wool catsuits still fetch high prices in vintage world and any dealer with his elegantly simple, Gallic tag on her racks raises a flutter in second-hand seekers. He designed for Barbie, for heaven's sake! But the designer himself, who seems to have cut a meteoric swath across the runways and then...?

So what's the story with this wasp-waisted pleated skirt? I wondered what else this woman could have dropped off on her Goodwill drive-by--a Chanel original? A couture Pucci? Surely someone this linked in wouldn't just h…

5 "Thrift Store Find" DIY Craft Projects They Keep Showing, for Things You Haven't Been Able to Find at Thriftstores Since 1987.

Me love Pinterest.
I know it's all a big, fantastic lie, but like every other pretty magazine catering to our fantasies before it, it makes us feel like we can achieve the same, heavily worked-over, fantastically styled, filtered, and photo-shopped perfection in our own lives. And sometimes that's enough.

But as a professional builder of ridiculous, up-cycled things, and a veteran thrifter (I can show you the scars!), some of these Pinterest DIY are just a parade of despair, false promises and dashed hopes. There's no call for that.


1. Vintage Suitcase Crafts:

Not only is this type of vintage suitcase VERY rare at your garden variety thrift store, follow this link to see how much rather highly involved work went into it.


2. Stuff made with old "thrift store" silverware.


Here's what you'd hope to find:












Here's what you're most likely to find: Oh, this stainless steel crap will bend alright--most of it already has the scars of the church community cen…